Saturday, January 12, 2008


Thursday, December 27, 2007
On my way to Iowa!
Today is Day Three of my drive to Iowa to campaign for Hillary Clinton in the caucuses on January 3rd. Despite the tedium of driving hours and hours alone, it still feels like a great adventure.
Keeping me company thus far in the car has been Ethan Hawke, reading five disks of Kurt Vonnegut's anti-war masterpiece, "Slaughterhouse Five". It's an ironic and well-written commentary on the impact of war.
I woke up today in Midway, Kentucky. Yesterday's state capitol tour was in Charleston, West Virginia. I got a private tour that was to last 30 minutes... but took just over two hours with all my questions etc. I was supposed to have a private tour of the Governor's mansion, but apparently the post-Xmas mess hadn't been cleaned up yet & they didn't want to have visitors yet. (By the way, I still believe that Governor Joe Manchin of WV would be a great running-mate for Hillary!)
My dear friend from Vassar, Herm Farrell, is taking me (along with his adorable daughter Madeleine) to Frankfort to see their state capitol. After this one, there will be just 15 left of the 50 for me to tour! My decision now is whether to stop in Springfield, IL, Jefferson City, MO, or elsewhere on the way to Des Moines, IA.
I'll write again when I have access to a computer.
Here's to democracy, peace, people's participation in elections, and exploring our beautiful country...
Hugs,
Cheryl
*************************************************************************
Friday, December 28, 2007
From Missouri, on my way to Iowa...
Today is Day Four of my drive to Iowa to campaign for Hillary Clinton in the caucuses on January 3rd.

Late last night, my decision was whether to drive to Springfield, IL, Jefferson City, MO, or elsewhere on the way to Des Moines, IA. I initially decided to stop in St. Louis, see the Arch, and sleep there. This morning, I could decide whether to drive east to MO or north to IL. Turns out I was pretty wide-awake, and decided to drive another 2-1/2 hours to Jefferson City, MO. I'm glad I did! Their capitol, while somewhat ordinary from the outside, is quite
spectacular on the inside! They have N.C. Wyeth, Thomas Hart Benton, and other artists' works within the beautiful vaulted architecture.

I've decided to drive to Springfield now and duck the Iowa snow for a bit longer. After Illinois, I'll have just 13 left to visit...

I am writing this from "Ozarkland" in Missouri. Think of "South of the Border" or "Wall Drug" in SD and you've got the idea. Tacky souvenirs at a way-station along the road. It's totally mid-America and a hoot. They advertised "free access to email" but didn't mention that their connection feels even slower than dial-up!

I'll write again when I have access to a computer.

If you are so inclined, consider a visit to www.HillaryClinton.com or other causes you care about. Make a donation of any size before the end of the year? Whether it's your local food pantry, women's shelter, arts group, or educational institution, they could use a few more dollars...

Hugs,

Cheryl

*************************************************************************

Saturday, December 29, 2007
I'm in Iowa!!!

Well, I've put on about 1500 miles on my car thus far. My folkie friends will say "so what". My other friends are perplexed my the whole "take vacation in the frigid cold to campaign... and DRIVE no less" mission I've undertaken with such enthusiasm!

Thus far, I've hit four more state capitols. That means I've visited a total of 37. (At some point before I leave, I'll visit Des Moines and add one more.) I'm definitely committed to hitting all 50 before I turn 50. If anyone has suggestions for good vacation destinations in places like Lansing Michigan or Bismarck North Dakota, I'm listening!

There are folks all over the hotel wearing "Hillary" buttons & I'm ready to kick into gear starting
tomorrow. The car, loaded down with my Tab soda, as well as Southern Comfort, Jim Beam and other friends, is now packed into my hotel room with two political colleagues from home.

I'll write again from the road with info on what we're assigned to do, how we're received, etc. In the meantime, let's keep our eyes on Pakistan and prepare to have an American leader who already has relationships with foreign heads of state and can hit the ground running from Day One in order to repair everything that's gotten @#($*&'d up over the past 7 years...

Hugs,

Cheryl
*************************************************************************

Monday, December 31, 2007
Yipes! It's REALLY cold out here!


It's Sunday night before Thursday's caucuses, and everything is busy & exciting here in Iowa!

There are almost 50 Marylanders here for Hillary. We're mostly Montgomery County & the Baltimore area, but we also have representation from Frederick, Anne Arundel, etc. Our group is diverse by age, race, gender, and political experience. We're united by our passion to elect the most qualified candidate who can hit the ground running on Day One, ready to fix what this Bush administration has wrecked during his tenure.

This morning, we received training in canvassing. Yup on a day the TV weather forecaster predicted that it would be a "cool 9 degrees", we were out, knocking on doors! My partner is a lovely young woman who works at Planned Parenthood in DC. We made a great team as we hit our doors, looking to lock in commitments for Clinton supporters to attend their local caucuses this Thursday night.

Surprisingly, our briefings about what to expect out in the field were accurate. Iowans are NOT yet sick of talking about the election. They invite you into their living room and want to talk for 15 or 20 minutes! How likely is that to happen in too many other places?? Not! Yes, they have a disproportionate influence on the process. But they are aware of that and take it quite seriously.

After a group dinner at "The Irish Democrat"-- a perfect place to eat in honor of our Governor-- we dashed over to headquarters for a "Mock Caucus." Despite all the briefings, it was interesting to experience the faux-reality of dividing among candidates Jefferson, Lincoln, Washington, FDR, and Truman. We Truman folks were able to pick up several votes from the "non-viable" candidacies of Washington & Jefferson. Between the math, the arcane rules, and
the lobbying, it got complicated and loud. Ultimately, you'll be pleased to know that Truman got 1 delegate vote out of the caucuses. (Let's hope Hillary does a ton better this week!)

Tomorrow will be another long day, possibly culminating with a New Year's Eve party in Des Moines with both Clintons. I'm not likely to write tomorrow, so let me wish you a HAPPY NEW YEAR!! May 2008 bring us a more peaceful world, happy and healthy lives, and a (particular) Democrat elected to the White House!

Hugs from "cool" Cedar Rapids... and without feeling in my fingers or toes,

Cheryl

*************************************************************************
Wednesday, January 02, 2008Just Two Days to Go!
So... there are just two days to go before the Iowa caucuses, and we are working our tails off for Hillary in Cedar Rapids. More Marylanders seem to arrive daily, infusing a great new energy to the second-largest city in the state.

Remember my last missive, when I commented on the 9 degree weather being described by the forecaster as "cool?" Now I get it! Today was 2... and with wind chill factor, it is now NEGATIVE 19 degrees. Long underwear and lots of gloves, socks, etc are worn without regard for what we look like. It's too freakin' cold to care about making fashion statements!

With weather like this, we are especially grateful for the warmth of the local voters. They invite us into their (heated) homes, rescuing us from the winds and biting cold. It's remarkable how friendly these prospective caucus-goers are, despite the barrage of television ads, robo calls, mailers, and canvassers. Today, my canvassing partner was a young Clinton campaign staffer. Samantha's intimate knowledge of the precinct made for less meandering than normal.

Our assigned precinct included a mix of upper-middle income folks and seniors living in retirement homes. Seniors, especially older women, are just tickled to have the opportunity to come out to help Hillary's candidacy! Even in their mid-80s and using a walker, they are totally motivated to go to their caucuses. Other supporters are men and women in our age bracket
(let's say 35-55) who appreciate both Senator Clinton's experience and relationships around the
world as well as Bill Clinton's record of leadership.

Many of the caucus-goers will be participating for the very first time. I'd be pretty surprised if the turnout isn't dramatically higher than in the past. What's fun is that everyone here is a political insider. In DC/Maryland, either you're "in" or you're "out" (paraphrasing Heidi Klum on Project Runway). Here, everyone's involved and aware. The surprising conversations are with those who are still undecided. They've met each candidate a couple of times, have had
policy chats, and they're still stymied. This isn't exactly what we're used to back home...

I've run into a few colleagues from past political campaigns, who (like me) have all converged on these poor defenseless Iowans. Tonight after getting back to HQ, I saw an older woman I knew I had worked with in the past. It didn't take long for me to identify Emily & her daughter Mary as colleagues from the Cranston for President campaign in 1984! It's bizarre to think that some of the young Clinton staffers weren't even born yet when we were trying to elect Alan Cranston!

Tomorrow, Hillary Clinton is coming to Cedar Rapids. That should mean door-knocking in the morning and afternoon, but with a break in the middle to be indoors, cheering her on.

That's all for now. It's tiring to be hustling around in sub-zero temperatures. Here's to a mug of hot tea and a warm bed.

More soon.

Cheryl
*************************************************************************
Thursday, January 03, 2008
Today's the Big Day!
Oh my... where do I start? We're freezing & exhausted, but SO pumped up for tonight's caucuses!

Yesterday, Hillary was in Cedar Rapids at a community college. As you might have read/seen, there were over 1000 people. Many were supporters who had already signed pledge cards and are planning to caucus. Others wanted to see her "live" in order to make up their minds.

Her speech yesterday was inspiring, direct, and effective. She talked about her commitment to safely bringing out troops home from Iraq; her accomplishments on behalf of working families and her plan to provide health care for ALL Americans; her bipartisan work on behalf of veterans and kids with disabilities; and much more. For as many political speeches as I've heard in my nearly 28 (gasp!) years in presidential politics, I was surprised that I found myself teary at one point and got a shiver down my spine at another. Remarkably, she still looked and
sounded great, despite her grueling schedule. After the rope line, "Team Maryland" was pulled back stage to take a picture with her. We're all just thrilled to have been there.

One of the highlights for me was seeing a few people whose doors I had knocked on the day before. One is a young woman with an infant. Catherine and her husband are both caucusing for Hillary; her mother is with Biden at the moment. I wonder whether hearing Hillary's speech will cause her to choose Clinton as her second choice should Biden not receive the 15%
minimum threshhold in her precinct. Another was Tom, an older guy who is volunteering at his precinct. We had stopped by his apartment to say hello & thank him for his support & assistance. He told me at the rally that the energy of the two young women (his words, not
mine!) finally convinced his wife that she should come out to caucus for Hillary as well. It feels great to know that our efforts are making a tangible difference.

I was assigned to be a "Precinct Assistant" in one of the caucuses they have labeled as a bellwether for the outcome. In a few minutes, I'll be leaving to meet with the Precinct Captain to see how I can best help her. Many Captains are new to the process, so having an extra set of hands is proving helpful and reassuring to them. Watch Precinct #47 in Cedar Rapids...or read my next missive!

After the caucus process is completed here, I'll be hitting the road for Des Moines. Very luckily, the hotel room I was able to get for tonight is in the same place as the Clinton Victory Party! I suspect I'll run into even more friends and political colleagues from home.

Bright and way-too-early tomorrow morning, I'll be doing two live shots from the CBS affiliate. If you're interested, check out the news on WUSA Channel 9 at 6am and/or 9am. I'll be on both, standing outside in Des Moines, talking about the caucus experience for the DC market. (Try not to notice the dark circles that are sure to be under my eyes!)

Gotta pack up and get ready to hit the road.

Hope you're enjoying better weather wherever you're reading this. Regardless of the temperature, be grateful that you're not likely to be knocking on doors or sign-waving in 11 degree temps with wind!

Fingers crossed for a great outcome tonight in Iowa...

Cheryl

*************************************************************************
Monday, January 07, 2008
Caucuses, Campaigning, and Coming Home!
Many of you have called or emailed me in the past few days, wondering about my caucus experience... and my feelings about the outcome.
While I would have wished for a better press "bounce", it turns out that Hillary Clinton got more delegates than Edwards and just one fewer than Obama after Superdelegates and other factors are considered. (It's unfortunate that these facts aren't being publicized!) It is also notable that all three top Democratic finishers broke John Kerry's 2004 record-breaking level of support. In other words, Hillary didn't lose so much as Obama just totally won. His turnout was extraordinary, and his campaign staff and volunteers are to be congratulated.
Despite the results, I was thrilled to have been a part of "Team Maryland" in Iowa. Our group of 40 or 50 (folks kept arriving and departing through the week) knocked on thousands of doors, made tons of phone calls, and worked at dozens of caucus locations. The dedicated Clinton campaign staff kept thanking us for our enthusiasm and willingness to do whatever tasks were pending. Some of our group were veterans of many campaigns (like Del. Maggie McIntosh, County Councilmember Nancy Floreen, former Senator Mary Boergers, Delegate candidate Reggie Oldak and me). Others came with an eagerness to learn and make a difference.
As I wrote a few days ago, my caucus was considered a "bellwether" that would give us a sense of the outcome. Two things were key: helping the first-time caucus-goers (including our Precinct Captain) and being sure to hold or increase our ranks. It was a fairly small precinct, and the projected turnout was 77. Instead, we had 125 Iowans who came out to be counted. (In addition, there were a couple dozen young people and some observers like me, who could not vote.) After quite an 'interesting' process, the three delegates were split evenly-- one each for Clinton, Obama, and Edwards. This was considered a great victory for us.
I drove directly to Des Moines, where I ran into pals from DC and around the country. Among those hanging out at the hotel bar were Tim Russert, CNN's Bill Hemmer, EMILY's List Founder Ellen Malcolm, and former Maryland Lt Governor Michael Steele.
After an insufficient 3 hours of sleep, I headed out for my 'live shot' from Des Moines on Channel 9 in Washington. During the 5am hour (broadcast live at 6am), I was on solo and spoke exclusively about Hillary Clinton's campaign. Coming back at 8am, I was paired with my regular sparring partner, Republican Kevin Igoe. I toured the State Capitol in Des Moines and then drove about 10 hours to Columbus OH.
Starting with Xmas Day, I drove 2,788 miles and (miraculously) got NO parking or speeding tickets. I toured SIX state capitols (WV, KY, MO, IL, IA, and OH) and met really nice people everywhere. My memories range from sleeping on a leaking air mattress to choking up as all the Clinton Team sang "America the Beautiful" together before heading out on Caucus Day. (Yes, Democrats are patriotic too!!)
I came home to my wonderful husband, who had been busy working on countless projects around the house. Special thanks go to him for supporting me in a million ways on the trip. Thanks also to everyone who called me while I was on the road as well as to my new XM, my Ipod, and books on CD. You helped me stay awake on the long solo drive.
I'm not sure what 2008 will hold for our party or our country, but I'm proud to have been a small part of the process. If you have read this far, perhaps you care enough to make your contribution-- either through time, money, or even sharing your views and passions with friends and colleagues! Pick your cause or candidate and Go For It this year!
The laundry awaits me, as do many hundreds of emails...
Hugs and best wishes,

Cheryl